Monday, November 23, 2009

It is easy to get distracted these days, with so many irons in the fire. One writer put it "we are fragmented and frazzled." I couldn't have put it better myself. Such accurately descript words.

After just completing the Muse Online Writer's Convention - well, it was a month or more ago - I have research materials, notes, and to-do lists spread across the entirety of my desk. I'm having a hard time remembering the color of my desktop - oh yes, I think it is woodgrain, perhaps dark pine. I have papers taped to my wall, things I must study over and apply to my websites. Articles on how to market your book, how to successfully promote an online business, how to attract readers using social media - and there is plenty of that to read about.

Keeping Twitter stuff separate from Facebook stuff, and blog stuff separate from LinkedIn stuff. I have to keep 'MustangingTheWest' material separate from 'TPW Writing Services' stuff, The Sacrifice of the Sage Hen novel stuff from article research notes and article directory stuff. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Whew!

I am now using folders. I have decided they could be the absolute most innovative invention of all time. They have become near and dear to my heart.

Grinding to a halt for a moment - I decided a few days ago, that each day I would take time out and walk my two beautiful pugs - it has come to be a most uplifting distraction. The fresh air - the bird songs - the crunch of dirt & gravel under my boots...and of course, the panting. Before long, the days will turn off cold. Perhaps I'll get stuck inside, merely watching what is going on outside. Until then, however, my other two companions - fragmented and frazzled - will just have to wait till I get back.

2 comments:

  1. It does seem like writers have a lot of stuff to keep track of. I like your suggestion of taking a walking break--it does help clear the mind.
    Also, congratulations on your good review of
    The Sacrifice of the Sage Hen. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I certainly experience that "fragmented and frazzled" feeling often! Taking a walk or some kind of break out in nature does help me.

    Heidi
    http://heidiwriter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete